Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Reckoning


Title: The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong
Genre: Fiction, YA, Paranormal
Rating: 5/5

Two weeks ago, Chloe Saunders was your average fifteen-year-old girl. Then she started seeing ghosts. Now she's on the run from the corporation that experimented on her as a child and is attempting to cover up what they see as their mistakes. And the only people she can trust are the other three teenage paranormals who are running with her.

I absolutely loved The Reckoning. I admit that I'm a bit biased because I think Kelley Armstrong's a fantastic writer, but I was completely captivated by the story. All that suspense and action, I couldn't put it down.

I really enjoyed the character development over the trilogy, which was rounded out in this book. Chloe, Derek, Simon and Tori have all gained increased control over their powers, though it's less noticeable with Simon. Derek's still over-protective but he tries to listen to the others' opinions and to think before he flips out. Tori's probably grown the most, having come to some unpleasant realizations about her family. She's no longer the spoiled brat that she was to start and she's willing do her part to help out.

I don't really have anything negative to say about the book. The only thing I found disappointing was that we didn't really see any of the characters of Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series. Perhaps that will come. Armstrong's kicking off a new YA trilogy in April with The Gathering and I can't wait to read it.

I have to say that The Darkest Powers trilogy is probably one of the best YA paranormal series that I've read since I started reading the genre in the mid-1990s. I completely recommend The Reckoning. But make sure to read The Summoning and The Awakening first. You don't want to miss the setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment