Monday, February 7, 2011

The Man with the Golden Torc


Title: The Man with the Golden Torc by Simon R. Green
Genre: Fiction, Fantasy, Mystery
Rating: 4/5

The Drood family has been protecting humanity from the things that go bump in the night for centuries upon centuries. Eddie Drood, the family's black sheep, is one of the best until a mission proves to be a deadly trap. Declared rogue, Eddie must team up with the wild witch, Molly Metcalf, in order to find out who's trying to kill him and what horrid secret is at the heart of the family's power.

I really enjoyed The Man with the Golden Torc, though I found Green to be a bit long-winded with descriptions at points. Or maybe it was just that some of the descriptions seemed a little unnecessary. But since it's the first book in the series and he's setting everything up, I suppose I can forgive that. One thing I did love though was the chapter titles. Normally I don't pay much attention to them in books (since they're often quite boring and self-evident) but most of these were witty and fitting. I also liked the variety in the supernatural/science fiction/horror elements: all the elves, demon cars, aliens, robots and serial killers. It doesn't seem like it would work, but it does.

I really enjoyed Eddie as a character, he seemed pretty well-rounded with some faults but generally a good guy who does what he thinks is right. And Molly was fantastic. I thought she was going to be a little too much or too perfect at first but her naivete when it came to some of her friends and associates kept her realistic. And I loved Mr. Stab (aka Jack the Ripper). I always find it interesting to see how authors deal with people or characters that the reader is already familiar with.

I definitely recommend this book to other readers. And I'll be giving the next book in the series a try; it'll be interesting to see how Eddie deals with how things are left off in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment